英语资讯
News

科学美国人60秒:用古代DNA重写《死海古卷》历史

Source: 恒星英语学习网    2021-05-17  我要投稿   论坛   Favorite  

This is Scientific American's 60-second Science, I'm Christopher Intagliata.
The Dead Sea Scrolls are religious manuscripts that were written from the third century B.C.E. to the first century C.E. They were discovered in the 1940s and '50s in caves along the shore of the Dead Sea. The parchments have been the topic of intense religious, literary and historical debate. They also continue to be the subject of scientific analysis—including DNA.
"The idea was to try to match and piece apart fragments based on their genetic identity—namely based on the animals from which they were made."
Oded Rechavi is a molecular biologist Tel Aviv University. His team sequenced the DNA from bits of scroll dust.
"Almost all the scrolls we sampled were perhaps surprisingly found to be made out of sheep skin. We found two that were made out of cow skin, that is a big story."
Here Rechavi's colleague Noam Mizrahi from the university's department of biblical studies picked up the story. The scrolls, he says, came from a place called Qumran, a three day's walk from the cultural center of Jerusalem. Mizrahi explains that the people of Qumran were an extremist group, with apocalyptic predictions, who harshly criticized the views of others.

Therefore, he says, there's been long-standing debate about how much the scrolls—unearthed from this sect in Qumran—represented just this faction's views or more general Jewish thought at the time. The presence of cow skins in a desert region, inhospitable to cattle, is provocative because it suggests this...
"Cow-made scrolls do not reflect the sectarian community of Qumran but were rather brought from the outside, written at the outside—and hence reflect broader Jewish society of the period."
That finding is in the journal Cell. Several other lines of evidence point to the ancient Qumran library containing a broad diversity of texts.
Mizrahi says genetics have added a new dimension to his studies, complementing his analysis of the content and language of the parchments.
"Here I discovered that the material of the scrolls, the very biological material from which the scrolls are made, is as informative and as telling in terms of the very question that was trying to clarify for myself and for other scholars."
In other words, sometimes you need the subtext—in this case, literally the material under the writing.
Thanks for listening for Scientific American's 60-second Science. I'm Christopher Intagliata.

将本页收藏到:
上一篇:科学美国人60秒:保护鲸鱼不必牺牲龙虾业
下一篇:返回列表

最新更新
论坛精彩内容
网站地图 - 学习交流 - 恒星英语论坛 - 关于我们 - 广告服务 - 帮助中心 - 联系我们
Copyright ©2006-2007 www.Hxen.com All Rights Reserved